November 2-18, 2018
Escorted by Yvette Crossley
This trip is for all textile enthusiasts and for those who want to have an in depth experience meeting the Moroccan people! Come and experience the ancient cities and beautiful landscapes of Morocco while support the women of Morocco. For the weaver and spinner, there is a hands on workshop carding and spinning camel and goat hair; for the knitter, there is the unusual cactus silk dyed in vibrant hues; for needle crafts, there's a workshop to learn how to make needle-weaving buttons unique to Morocco as well as a workshop to learn Moroccan embroidery techniques and for the quilter, there are endless quilt ideas through the textile and mosaics you'll see throughout the country. In Essaouira there is an opportunity to learn tapestry crocheting which is the method used to make the colourful hats that men wear in Morocco. Come and join in on the fun as we explore this fascinating country!
- Natural dyeing demonstration.
- Workshop carding and spinning camel and goat wool and weaving on a traditional desert loom.
- Needle weaving button workshop.
- Moroccan embroidery workshop.
- Basket weaving workshop.
- Tapestry crochet workshop.
- Tagine cooking class.
- 17 day/16 night tour - lots of time to enjoy Morocco!
- Visiting a weavers co-op and pottery co-op in Fes and the famous Fes Tanneries.
- Interacting, supporting and having lunch with various women's co-operatives across Morocco.
- Experience the sunset and sunrise over the Erg Chebbi dunes.
- See the dramatic landscape of the Todra Gorge & visit the Valley of the Roses and Elaa M'gouna.
- Visit the ancient Kasbah of Ait Benhaddou, where Indiana Jones, Gladiator and Lawrence of Arabia were filmed.
- Enjoy the ancient seaside city of Essaouria, known as the Windy city of Africa.
- Take a horse drawn calesh to Majorelle Gardens; see the private collection of Yves St Laurent North African textiles, jewelry and carpets at the Berber Arts Museum.
- Experience the bustling Djemaa el Fna with it's singers, drummers, dancers & snake charmers.
- Explore the shop in the famous Fes & Marrakech medinas - bring an extra suitcase or bag!