April 13-29, 2019
Escorted by Yvette Crossley
This trip is for all textile enthusiasts! Come and experience the ancient cities and beautiful landscapes of Morocco whilst supporting the women of Morocco. For the weaver and spinner, there is a hands on workshop carding and spinning camel and goat hair and then weaving on a traditional desert loom; for the knitter, there is the unusual cactus silk dyed in vibrant hues. For needle crafts, there is a workshop to learn how to make needle-weaving buttons used on djellabas and unique to Morocco as well as a workshop to learn Moroccan embroidery techniques and for the quilter, there are endless quilt ideas through the textiles and mosaics you’ll see throughout the country. In Essaouira, there is an opportunity to learn tapestry crotchet which is the method used to make the colourful hats that men wear in Morocco.
Hands-on experiences and demonstrations:
- Natural dyeing demonstration
- Workshop carding and spinning camel and goat wool, then weaving on a traditional desert loom
- Moroccan embroidery workshop(s)
- Needle weaving button workshop
- Basket weaving workshop
- Tapestry crochet workshop
- Tagine cooking class
- 17 days / 16 night tour: Visiting a weavers co-op, pottery co-op and the tanneries in Fes
- Interacting and supporting various women’s co-operatives throughout Morocco
- Experience the sunset and sunrise over the Erg Chebbi dunes
- See the dramatic landscape of the Todra Gorge
- Walk through the “Blue City” of Chefchaouen
- Visit the Valley of the Roses and Kelaa M’gouna
- Visit the ancient Kasbah of Ait Benhaddou, where Indiana Jones, Gladiator and Lawrence of Arabia were filmed.
- Take a horse drawn calesh to Majorelle Gardens; see the private collection of Yves St. Laurent North African textiles, jewelry and carpets at the Berber Arts Museum
- Visit the seaside fortress of Essaouira
- Experience the bustling Djemaa el Fna with it’s singers, drummers, dancers & snake charmers
- Explore and shop in the famous Fes & Marrakech medinas—bring an extra suitcase or bag!