Sept 27 - Oct 5, 2019
Hot Air Balloon Festival and the High Road to Taos - Escorted by Michelle Sitbon
Part of the Art Voyage Collection
New Mexico is known for its extraordinary scenic beauty and rich cultural history. Our journey starts in Santa Fe, arguably the art lover’s capital of North America, with over 200 galleries and museums. Sante Fe is the land of enchantment, casting a spell over visitors who return over and over, flocking to this southern art Mecca.
Also known as O’Keeffe Country, this region was the home and inspiration of Georgia O’Keeffe, one of the most original and influential female artists in modern times. Widely considered to be ‘The Mother of Modern Painting’, she is most known for her vivid images of New Mexico. She countered natural imagery of flora and fauna with striking depictions of animal skulls and bones. Today, she is recognized as a pioneer of 20th century art and a feminist icon. Our trip is the perfect opportunity to experience her revolutionary art in the perfect setting where it was created.
- Art Galleries - A true art galleries galore along canyon road and around the railyard area. We’ll visit the best traditional galleries and the modern ones while enjoying refreshment light snacks and live music.
- Museums - Prepare to have one-of-a-kind experiences as we visit the 4 renowned museums of Santa Fe displaying everything from international folk art to 21st century interactivity, and of course the Georgia O’Keeffe museum.
- The home and studio of Georgia O’Keeffe in Abiquiu - This behind the scenes tour will allow us to follow her footsteps and experience a deep connection with the land she loved. Following the trail from her former home, through the desert landscapes to Ghost Ranch is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and breathe O’Keeffe’s work.
- Cooking Workshop - Learn to cook recipes inspired by O’Keeffe, from her personal cook and confidante, Margaret Wood in collaboration with the famous Santa Fe Cooking school .
- Adobe Town - Visit the historic town, and experience unique architecture, iconic landmarks and traditional local art markets.
- Hot springs - We will head north out of Santa Fe to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, the oldest mineral hot springs in the country, surrounded by stunning high desert mesas.
Unique Trip Features
- High Road to Taos - Each fall in northern New Mexico, artists on the High Road to Taos open their studios and galleries for two consecutive weekends. For some, this is the only time they open their door during the year. The High Road Art Tour invites visitors to see multiple arts and crafts, traditional and contemporary, created by local artists, and offers an exclusive opportunity to meet and purchase directly from these artists.
- Wine and Chilli Festival-Each year the Wine & Chile Fiesta brings as many as 90 national wineries to Santa Fe to partner with 75+ of Santa Fe’s best restaurants. For five days in September, the schedule includes cooking demos, wine seminars winery luncheons and dinners.the weekend culminates with the highly popular Grand Tasting at the Santa Fe Opera where all participating Santa Fe restaurants and wineries serve samples of their best food and wine.
- Hot Air Balloon Festival- The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta®, is the world's largest hot air ballooning event, a fantastic sight considered to be the world's most photographed event. We will join around 750,000 visitors that attend the festival each year and experience that wonder..
- And of course, our signature dose of art museums, gourmet cuisine, healing therapies and much more... Many have said that, once you visit Santa Fe, you’ll never want to leave!